Skip to main content

I Find That E-Scooters Are A Good Way For Mey Husband And I To Explore The City

My husband and I purchased two Segway Ninebot Max G30P e-scooters from Amazon Canada this summer. It turned out to be a great investment because we have been able to see so much more of the city with them. We already have Amazon Prime, so shipping was free. Someone from Amazon even called to confirm that we were the ones who placed the order. That was a nice touch, especially since we do not make big purchases like this very often. 

Each scooter cost around a thousand dollars.Before we bought them, we tested the waters by renting the basic Ninebot models from a place called Zoom on Queens Quay. We paid $75 each for seven hours, plus tax. We took those rented scooters on the trails from East York over to Scarborough, then back along the waterfront all the way to Ontario Place. The range surprised us. We covered a lot of ground without constantly worrying about the battery. That single rental day was enough to convince us we wanted our own. Owning them has made it easy to explore Toronto and the wider GTA whenever we feel like getting out.One important note about the rules: e-scooters are not legal to ride on public roads, sidewalks, bike lanes, or trails in Toronto. 

The province runs a pilot program that lets individual municipalities decide whether to allow them. Toronto has not opted in, so under current city rules they are not permitted on public property. In practice many people still ride them and ticketing has often been limited, but the official status is that they are not allowed. We mostly stick to trails and avoid traffic as much as possible to stay safer and reduce any issues.The scooters themselves are straightforward to use. They handle city paths, waterfront trails, and quieter routes well. The Max G30P model has solid range and a stable feel, which is why we chose it after trying the basic rental versions. We have used them to reach neighbourhoods and waterfront spots that would have taken much longer on foot or required more planning with transit or a car. It has turned ordinary weekends into longer, more open-ended outings.

There is one clear limitation: you cannot leave them unattended. Like most personal e-scooters, they are easy targets if left unlocked or out of sight. We always bring a good lock and stay aware of where we park, or we simply take them with us when we stop for longer than a few minutes. That small extra step is worth it for the freedom they give us the rest of the time.Safety is non-negotiable for me. I wear full protective gear every time I ride: a helmet plus wrist, knee, and elbow protectors. I bought an official Segway helmet from Best Buy for about $30 plus tax. The rest of the gear came from Walmart for around $15 plus tax. It is not expensive, and it makes a real difference. 

When you are riding near roads or in shared spaces you are exposed to cars and other traffic. Protective gear reduces the risk of serious injury if something goes wrong. Because we mainly use trails and stay out of heavier traffic, the overall risk is lower, but I still treat every ride seriously.I also make a point of checking blind spots carefully. When I turn my head to look, I keep my arms and hands steady on the handlebars. Moving your arms while turning can affect balance, especially at speed or on uneven surfaces. A quick, controlled head check is safer and keeps the scooter stable. 

I stay visible, use lights when needed, and follow the same basic awareness I would on a bicycle.Looking back, the rental day was the smartest first step. Spending a few hours on the actual scooters told us more than any product description could. We learned the range was better than we expected, the ride was comfortable for longer distances, and we genuinely enjoyed covering the city that way. Once we knew we liked them, buying through Amazon with Prime made the process simple, and the verification call added a bit of reassurance on a larger purchase.

Since then the scooters have paid for themselves in experiences. We have seen more of the trails, the waterfront, and different parts of the GTA than we would have otherwise. The combination of convenience, range, and the ability to go at our own pace has made them a regular part of how we get around for fun and light exploration. They are not a replacement for every trip, but for the days when we want to cover ground, enjoy the outdoors, and stay active, they work very well—especially when we keep to trails and quieter routes.

If you are considering e-scooters, I would suggest starting with a rental if one is available near you. Test the range and comfort on the kinds of routes you actually want to ride. Check the current rules for your specific municipality, because they vary across Ontario. Factor in a solid lock and proper protective gear from the beginning. And when you ride, stay alert, keep your body stable when checking around you, and prioritize safer paths whenever possible.

For us the purchase has been straightforward and worthwhile. Two reliable scooters, free shipping through Prime, a helpful verification call from Amazon, and many hours of exploring. We respect the legal limits by sticking mainly to trails and avoiding traffic, wear the gear every time, and never leave the scooters unattended. Everything else has been enjoyable and practical.
Here are our scooters on one of the many trails in the Don Valley in East York.
Riding our e-scooters at night.
We took our e-scooters to High Park via Bloor Street and back via Lakeshore.
Highpark
 
Feeding a chipmunk in Highpark














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Visited The Wonderful Royal Ontario Museum / ROM

For two adults the general admission plus an exhibit came out to $87.00 taxes included so around $43.50 each but I felt it was well worth it.  I've been to the ROM a couple times before and it keeps getting better!  The only thing I would have changed is that we could photograph pieces in the exhibit. I do understand though because they want more people to come and don't want their treasures to be spoiled.  

'Tis The Season For Giving To Those In Need

It's a must that I donate to some of my local charities this time of year so that some that are in need don't go without.  Seems that some are a bit lost in gift giving to those that often have so much already, and it's usually for very expensive things, that they don't need either, so that those really in need continue to want for the littlest of things.  I don't want to preach to anyone at all.  To each his own.  However, for myself, I like to give modest gifts this time of year to only a few people that I am close to, so that I can donate more.  I already gave to the Daily Bread Food Bank and they had 3 lovely e cards that you can send as gifts to those that you wish to make the donation in the name of.  The one I selected is above.  It shows others that you haven't forgotten them at Christmas and hopefully they will follow your example.   Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.  Best to those kind people in 2015! Warmest Rega...

Niagara Falls, Ontario Power Plant & Floral Showhouse

I love Niagara Falls, both the Canadian and American sides.  Not only do you have one of the natural wonders of the world but the is so much amazingness there too from attractions, to parks, to restaurants and much more!  I'm so blessed to live only an hour and a half by car.  This past time we specifically went to visit two attractions and the falls.  First we went to see The Niagara Power Plant that includes the fabulous Tunnel where you can see the falls so close at a different vantage point. Then we went to the lovely Floral Showhouse too.  We only went for the day.  We then grabbed a burger at We The Fine (WTF) Burger and it was so good.  I highly recommend it all!  I've been going to Niagara since I was a baby!  My parents loved going there too.  They are originally from the South of Italy and everyone from there that visits Buffalo or Ontario or both makes it a point to visit Niagara Falls.  They definitely aren't wrong! ...